Tuesday 20 February 2018

You and I live in a democracy - a republic, which is 'by us', 'for us' and 'of us'

You and I live in a democracy - a republic, which is 'by us', 'for us' and 'of us'.

You and I are therefore free to have our 'point of views'; point of view is how one looks at an issue and that way of looking at is supposed to be unique as every one of us are unique. That's how nature designed us - unique.

So, when you put forward your 'point of view', it is your unique of way of looking at things and it is got to be different from mine. The beauty of democracy is that I can say that I don't like your point of view and I can even find flaw in your argument based on which your point of view is based. But, then I cannot be asking you to change your point of view or ask you to have a different view or worse still, I cannot ask you to have a point of view that is acceptable to me.

Talking of point of view, my point of view is India is actually an oligarchy, since India's top 1% (in 2017) owned 73% of the country's wealth! In 2016 India's richest 1% held 58% of the country's total wealth, and just one year by 2107, the wealth of this elite group increased by over Rs 20.9 lakh crore! Now the top 1% of the population holds 73% of India's wealth while 67 crore citizens, comprising the country's poorest half, saw their wealth rise by just 1%!!!

Beyond the more conventional understanding of democracy, the real difference between democracy and oligarchy is between poverty and wealth. Wherever the rulers, whether they be a minority or a majority, and owe their power to wealth, that is an oligarchy. Wherever the poor rule, that is a democracy. This is of course is 'my' point of view; 'point of view' of a 'pseudo-intellectual.


***
Disclaimer: My writings have no pretensions neither to infallibility. not to omniscience. There may well be facts that I could be unaware of, that could undermine or discredit some of my arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment